Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What can you do with Stazon - cotton white ink?

Ask this question and most people will read you the instructions printed on the pack or the specifications from someones sales sheet. I wanted to know the answer too, so I have tried and tested the cotton white stazon ink to see what it can do. And I have had so much fun with it I thought I'd share some photos, because that's what I do.
Here's the package: It says you can stamp on non porous surfaces - that includes: glass, metal, acetate (transparencies), plastic (bags, lids, boxes, containers), buttons, ceramic.
And then, the other night I volunteered (no, was volunteered) to demonstrate some applications of stazon at our Team get together.
First of all - the stazon ink pad comes dry and with it's own re-inker bottle so you put the nozzle on the pad at a 45 degree angle and add some ink, about 1/4 teaspoon to start, then work it into the surface with the nozzle. It is a sticky ink and I found it dries pretty fast so recap the ink pad between stamping and I also found you need to re-ink the pad just a tad if you haven't used it for awhile and you want a good impression.
Here are some of the surfaces we stamped.

1. My favourite is glass. The white stazon takes between 3-5 minutes to dry, so that gives you plenty of time to rub, or wet then rub off if you make a mistake. Glass is slippery so like gloss cardstock the rubber stamp can slide. If your glass jar is round (and they usually are) you need to roll the stamp around the jar to get an even impression.These little jars with jelly beans or chocolates inside would make nice christmas gifts and they can later be used for spices, or to store your buttons, ribbons, beads or brads in them.
2. Metal: Lids, tin containers (I am just not sure how it would go in the dishwasher - can someone else test that theory and let me know?) It is a permanent solvent ink but, my thoughts are that it would possibly scratch off in time. So just keep the scourer and the scrubbing brush for your pans and use a light sponge for cleaning.
I have stamped the top of the spice jar with the Bella's bloom stamp. I am not actually certain this is metal it could be coated plastic ... but it works well and looks great IMO.3. Gloss card stock - It works really well when you sponge, daub, and resist with Classic inks.
(It is a good alternative to the embossing resist technique).
I just stamped my butterfly stamp on the gloss cardstock and waited 3 mins before I sponged over the image with Pacific Point Classic Ink . Then buffed the surface with a clean tissue to reveal the image that has resisted absorbing the ink.
These two tags are inked with ridinghood red and kiwi kiss classic ink.

3 comments:

  1. Great tutorial I will now have to add this to my collection of many many ink pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information. I have this product sitting on my shelf and wasn't sure what to do with it. Now I have some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so let me know your thoughts: