Friday, March 27, 2009

Whimsical Waterfall card

I do love an interactive card.
I like to flip and flap, pull ribbons and slide slides ... really I just love to read children's books with their bright and attractive colours and things that engage you with their movement and a fun surprise element.
I have had this template on my cards-to-do list for a loooooooooooooong time. I always thought it would be extremely time consuming or tricky to assemble.
Well, last Sunday afternoon, I proved myself wrong once again. I broke out the cutter and the cardstock to give this a go.
It was very simple - the instructions are the hardest part to follow, usually because it is written by someone who uses imperial measurements and often (too often in my opinion) there is a bit left over ... or a step left out, or perhaps I just can't follow simple instructions, more than likely.
Here is the finished project: A white card with an interactive waterfall of stamped panels on the front.
You pull the ribbon attached to the tab at the bottom.

And the butterfly flips up, disappears ... and reveals another image.
The tulips are stamped in Baja blue and Pacific point inkpads and surrounded by some kiwi kiss bugs.

Pull the ribbon a bit further and you reveal another panel of ....


Tangerine tango and riding hood red lady beetles!


I love how these two colours go so well together and they are a nice contrast to the lavender lace cardstock and perfect plum butterflies on the background card.

Finally, you know what to do -

Pull the ribbon and
The kiwi kiss and pacific point snail appears on the final panel!



I havent yet stamped the greeting.
It can be stamped on the long grey piece that is now revealed at the bottom.
Something along the lines of Happy Birthday!

Kids and adults love this style of card and it is really just a matter of:
Stamping four square pieces of white or vanilla cardstock (4.7cm x 4.7cm), mounting them on four coloured squares (5.1cm x 5.1cm).
A white cardfront (13cm x 20cm) folded in half.
A long piece of any colour cardstock (23cm x 5.1cm) I used going grey.
A strip of cardstock (10cm x 2cm) to be attached to the cardfront with eyelets to hold the grey pull down piece in place (I used lavender lace and background stamped it with floral background for texture).
A piece of ribbon threaded through another eyelet on a round tab punch attached to the grey pull down piece.
This is not a tutorial, I am not supplying pictures of how to put it together, nor the measurements for the scoring so I have attached a link here to a tutorial on the Splitcoast website, it is the best explanation I found for this type of card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, so let me know your thoughts: